Monday, July 1, 2024

Read this if you struggle with being consistent as a runner

Here are some tips for developing consistency.

Set SMART goals. SMART goals are

Specific: The goal is clearly stated so that anyone can understand what will be done and who will do it.

Measurable: A way to measure success is determined.

Achievable: The goal is realistic and possible to complete within the set time frame.

Relevant: The goal aligns with values and long-term goals and objectives.

Time-bound: The goal is set within an appropriate time frame to create a sense of urgency.

Presently, my goal is to maintain a level of fitness where it would be easy for me to comfortably complete a half-marathon on any given day. Presently, the way I accomplish this is by cross-training at least 3x/week (usually barre3 classes) and running at least 2x/wk (minimum 8 miles/wk). Honestly, I usually end up working out way more than that but I like to keep the bar low and achievable for my mental health and for balance because realistically not every day is going to be a two workout day, but if I don't do at least the minimum that's a problem. All the extra workouts are a bonus! Since I have a maintenance goal, I sign up for 2 halfs a year to see if I'm hitting the mark or need to adjust my training plan. 


Be passionate.

Attach a meaningful purpose to your training: to be fit enough to enjoy playing with your kids, to raise money for a charity that supports a cause you care deeply about. I found myself most motivated when I ran the 2023 NYC Marathon to raise money for the Girls on the Run Hudson Valley scholarship fund. 


Create a routine.

This helps take the burden of decision making out of how you do things on a day-to-day basis because you've planned it out ahead of time. The more details and accountability you can add to the routine the better. Going to work is an example of a routine. I've recently started running with Bad Ass Run Krew on Sundays and then coming home to enjoy a big breakfast with my husband. That's a routine too! 


Reward yourself.

A reward could be: stream a movie, wear your "nice" clothes, take time to play a game, do a hobby or otherwise use something fun that you already own but don't usually make time for, take a break outside and bask in the sun, call a supportive loved one or someone you want to encourage and tell them about your accomplishment. (Note: Please don't use food as a reward. It's not a healthy way to relate to eating, IMHO.)  Absolutely, DO NOT REWARD YOURSELF IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN CONSISTENT. No pity parties! Seek encouragement or solutions and give yourself a second chance to take action instead! 


Track your progress.

You can record your training in a journal, on your calendar, an app like Strava, and/or your wearable device's app. I wear this Garmin and use the Garmin Connect app to record and review my training.


Get support. 

Surround yourself with people and content that support your goals. Make friends in real life and online who are also into running and value meeting running goals. Follow me on Instagram. Join a running club. Read magazines about running, like Runner's World. You can even listen to and be inspired by Audible books written by or about runners while you run. (Have you read Running While Black yet?)


Manage your time.

There is nothing more important for living a fulfilling life than having self-trust. Running is a great opportunity to develop that. Literally do what you said you were going to do, when you said you were going to do it. Do not allow other things to get in the way! Your goals and your dreams matter. You matter. 

You can periodically re-access your goals and the approach you're taking to get there. But the day of, the hour of, the moment when you're supposed to be doing something is absolutely not the time to do that! Trust that you knew what you were doing when you made the plan. Trust that you’ll be able to learn from the process and continue to improve. 

Olivia Lovejoy is your run bestie who shares running tips, training plans and motivation online and offers one-on-one run coaching to help new runners achieve their goals. Based in Hastings on Hudson, NY but just a click and scroll away: Instagram | YouTube | Run with me | Email me | Subscribe to my email newsletter


AddThis